Sunday, March 30, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

This is currently one of my favorite breakfasts!  We all love it, including my picky toddler!  Leftovers reheat great too.  I have never been a huge fan of oatmeal... but baked oatmeal is another story.  So many recipes have a lot of sugar and butter, but this one is pretty healthy.  I found this recipe at Two Peas and Their Pod.


Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal


Yield: Serves 4-6
Cook Time: 20 minutes (It takes 30 minutes for me.)

Ingredients:

2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk  (I only use about 1 cup, so it cooks faster.)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 egg whites (I use 1 whole egg.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced

Optional Toppings:  (I never add any of these.)
Brown Sugar
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Chopped almonds

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. (I use a 7x11 pan. I have also doubled it and fit it in a 9x13 pan.)
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes (I always cook mine for 30 minutes, and even longer if I double it.) or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.  (We just add milk to our individual bowls, and that is it.)

No comments: