Saturday, February 9, 2013

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

I love hot chocolate this time of year, but the cheap mixes at the store just don't do it for me.  And well, the good stuff is just too expensive.  This solves my problem.  It is delicious, easy, and cheap!  This recipe originally comes from a Cook's Country magazine, but I found it at a few food blogs such as Mel's Kitchen Cafe and Pennies on a Platter.

*Makes about 20 servings

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1½ cups cocoa powder, dutch-process or natural
1½ cups white chocolate chips or finely chopped white chocolate
¼ teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Working in two (or more) batches, depending on the size of your food processor, pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the chocolate is finely ground. (I did it in one batch in my Blendtec.) Store the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

To make hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot milk. Top with whipped cream or miniature marshmallows, if desired.

No comments: