Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pineapple Salsa Chicken

I've been trying to use my crockpot more, so dinner is ready when I get home. I have found some super easy and delicious recipes. We tried this one first and served it over tortilla chips (like nachos). We loved it! Healthy, cheap, and easy!
I found this recipe at one of my favorite food blogs: melskitchencafe.com

*Serves 6-8

6 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, like Great Northern, rinsed and drained
2 cups mild or medium salsa (I used medium.)

Tortillas or tortilla chips and garnishes, like sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.

Place the chicken in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Using tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-size pieces. Mix the chicken back in with the rest of the ingredients. The mixture will be fairly soupy--you can drain off some liquid so it doesn’t make everything soggy (especially if eating in tortillas). Serve with tortilla chips and garnishes, like tomatoes, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.

*This recipe is very adaptable--I actually used 2 cans of black beans because that is what I had. It also freezes easily. I froze some of my leftovers in a ziploc bag, and they still tasted great (if not better) when I thawed them a few weeks later!


No comments: